- Gold Coast Airport Ltd (GCAPL) acquired 99 year lease of airport from the Federal Government on 28 May 1998.
- Queensland Airports Limited (QAL) formed as part of corporate reconstruction of the shareholding of GCAPL, assuming 100% ownership of GCAPL.
- QAL acquired 100% ownership of both Townsville Airport Pty Limited and Mount Isa Airport Pty Limited on 15 March 2005.
- QAL launched Australia’s newest aviation business park, the Northern Australian Aerospace Centre of Excellence (NAACEX).
- QAL acquired 51% of AVIEX, a leading aircraft paint and refurbishment company. AVIEX moved into the NAACEX precinct at Townsville Airport.
- QAL acquired 100% of Aviation Ground Handling – a full service ground handling agent that prides itself on low cost, high quality ground handling, backed by 16 years of experience.
- QAL completed a runway extension at Gold Coast Airport, taking the runway to 2500m and opening up the airport to wide-bodied aircraft. AirAsia X was the first low cost long-haul airline to begin direct international services, commencing direct services to Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia) and opening up direct flights from the Gold Coast to Asia.
- Gold Coast Airport named Centre for Asia Pacific Aviation – Low Cost Airport of the Year.
- Gold Coast Airport, Townsville Airport and Mount Isa Airport celebrate the 10th anniversary of the privatisation of federally owned airports.
- Jetstar commenced direct international services from the Gold Coast to Tokyo and Osaka (Japan).
- Gold Coast Airport named the Low Cost Airline Congress – Airport of the Year.
- Gold Coast Airport wins the Routes – Airport Marketing Award.
- QAL acquired the remaining share of AVIEX.
- QAL assists the purchasing consortium of Cairns and Mackay Airports (North Queensland Airports Pty Ltd) during the sale process from the Queensland Government; the North Queensland Airports consortium appoints QAL to provide special airport services through a Technical Services Agreement for twelve months.
- BAE Systems moved their operation to the NAACEX precinct at Townsville Airport.
- QAL celebrated the opening of the new $100 million passenger terminal redevelopment at Gold Coast Airport.
- Strategic Airlines announce new international services from Townsville Airport to Bali (Indonesia).
- Gold Coast Airport named Australia’s Major Airport of the Year at the Australian Airports Association (AAA) Aviation Excellence Awards.
- Gold Coast Airport named Australian Airports Association – Major Airport of the Year.
- Gold Coast Airport named Skytrax Award – Best Regional Airport (Asia/Pacific).
- Gold Coast Airport named Skytrax Award – Staff Service Excellence (Asia/Pacific).
- QAL acquired 100% ownership of Longreach Airport Pty Ltd
- Qantas returned to the Gold Coast and opened a Qantas Lounge
- Scoot commenced direct Gold Coast – Singapore services
- Gold Coast Airport’s 2011 Master Plan was approved by the Federal Minister for Infrastructure and Transport
- Virgin Australia opened a Lounge at Gold Coast Airport